On the night of July 20th, a fire started on the rooftop patio of our building, directly above part of our exhibition space. The fire was put out by firefighters but a great deal of smoke and water entered our space. Fortunately, only two artifacts were affected and so far they appear to be undamaged. However, a large part of our space and fixtures were damaged, and both the water and fumes are considered toxic.
All artifacts have been removed from the exhibition space to the safety of our collection storage room. We are currently working with the building’s owner to implement a rehabilitation plan, parts of which are already in action. However, the damage was more extensive than we first realized and it is not clear how long repairs will take.
The museum will be closed until all repairs are made and the exhibition space is safe for both artifacts and visitors. We hate being closed and are working to make sure we do not have to be closed a single day longer than necessary. We apologize for any inconvenience, and hope to see you next time you’re in the area.